Bonnie Ferris and Susan Tullington, Realtors®
The Family Real Estate Partners

Samson Properties
1375 Heathcote Blvd, Ste 340, Gainesville, VA 20155

Midland, Virginia

Quick Page Links:  Show Homes for Sale (new window),    Map of Zip Code 22728

Zip Code 22728 encompasses the following counties:  Fauquier 100% 

Midland is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fauquier County, Virginia, United States. The population as of the 2010 Census was 218.[1] Midland is home to a post office with the local zip code of 22728.

Midland is the closest community to the birthplace of John Marshall, the longest-servingChief Justice in Supreme Court history. A small park honors his birthplace, with a marker placed where his home once stood. The county is also designated as part of the John Marshall Soil and Water Conservation District.

The Warrenton-Fauquier Airport is also situated in Midland.

Ross Industries is one of the companies that has its headquarters in Midland.

C. M. Crockett Park also has a Midland address. It has Germantown Lake and the archeological sites of Germantown. The park has many facilities available to the public and is often used for county-wide events.

Germantown is a historic unincorporated rural community in Fauquier County, Virginia,United States. It is the resting place of John Jacob Richter (also spelled Rector). He was buried there in 1729. It is located in and around current-day C. M. Crockett Park, which contains the popular local fishing destination of Germantown Lake. Chief Justice John Marshall was born in Germantown.

History

Many inhabitants from Germantown came from Germany, e.g. Siegen (east of Bonn).[1] In 1718 twelve German emigrant families left the employ of Governor Alexander Spotswood and the mining settlement of Germanna for a 1,805-acre (7 km2) parcel of land in modern southernFauquier County. The parcel was divided equally between the settlers: Melchior Brumback, Joseph Coons, Harman Fishback, John Fishback, Peter Hitt, Jacob Holtzclaw, John Henery Hoffman, John Kemper, John Joseph Martin, Jacob Rector, John Spilman, Barry Brumbackily, and Tillman Weaver.[2] All the homes were built on the southern side of Licking Run which flowed through each farm.

Each landowner also donated 10 areas to form a glebe where the first church, parsonage, and school in Fauquier County were constructed. German Rolling Road was constructed by the settlers to enable them to reach the market of Falmouth. A saw mill and a grist mill also operated in this town as well. The mill pond lies under Germantown Lake, named in honor of the settlement.

By the time of the American Revolution the prosperous settlers had all acquired other land and the settlement was defunct. Therefore, Germantown is sometimes called a lost German colony.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Top of Page