Bonnie Ferris and Susan Tullington, Realtors®
The Family Real Estate Partners
The Plains, Virginia
Zip Code 20198 encompasses the following counties: Fauquier 79.5%; Prince William 20.5%
The Plains is a town in Fauquier County, Virginia, United States. The population was 266 at the 2000 census. It is centered around Virginia Route 55 (John Marshall Highway) and Virginia Route 245 (Old Tavern Road). The mayor of The Plains is Robert Gurtler.
The Plains is home to Great Meadow, a large open-air and open-field facility that hosts several large events throughout the year, including the Virginia Gold Cup steeplechase horse race, which attracts over 50,000 guests on the first Saturday of each May.
A museum exhibit, "Footprint to Change", is located at 4243 Loudoun Avenue near the train tracks that go through town. The building houses the Afro-American Historical Association of Fauquier County offices, library and archives as well as the museum.
Long Branch Baptist Church (est. 1786), the third oldest Baptist Church in Virginia, lies a little bit to the north, in the unincorporated area called 'Halfway.' The evangelist William Broaddus, founder of Southwestern Seminary in Louisville, was pastor there in the 1830s. His nephew, John Broadusis often called 'the father of homiletics (preaching)'.
Wakefield School, a Pre-school through Grade 12 independent school, makes its home in The Plains, VA.
Actor Robert Duvall once owned a restaurant in the Plains called "The Rail Stop." He still makes his residence north of town at his 360-acre (1.5 km2) Brindley Farm.
The town is also home to a seasonal corn maze owned and operated by locals.
The National Association of Rocketry held NARAM-50 there in the summer of 2008.
The Masonic Lodge was organized on a site near the present Post Office. The Plains Lodge U.D., held its first meeting on December 29, 1898, and continued to work "Under Dispensation" until the Grand Lodge of Virginia met in Alexandria, Virginia on December 15, 1899, and issued the Lodge a Charter under the name of Cochran Lodge No. 271.
Beverley Mill was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia